The Astrix Blog
Expert news and insights for scientific & technology professionals.
The Benefits of Choosing an Expert Informatics Consultant to Manage your LIMS Deployment
Selecting and deploying a LIMS is a complex undertaking for today’s scientific organizations. The common failure point of a LIMS project is due to the lack of a dedicated, experienced LIMS program manager (PM) in place at the start of the project. Choosing the right LIMS PM and deployment team to ensure that you have the proper framework in place to effectively manage all aspects of your LIMS deployment is absolutely critical to a successful outcome of your project.
Organizations often struggle to adequately resource a LIMS deployment from the planning stages all the way through to delivery utilizing only internal resources. It is challenging to identify personnel within the existing teams that meet all of the necessary qualifications and have the bandwidth for dedicated LIMS program management in a fluid role with their daily ongoing responsibilities, ultimately putting the project at risk.
Investing in the Success of your LIMS Project
A Harvard Business Review (HBR) of the risks inherent in IT projects when not managed properly cited:
- 1 in 6 projects will experience a 200% budget overrun and a schedule overrun of 70%.
- 55% of project managers cited budget overrun as a reason for their project failure.
- The average budget overrun is approximately 27%.
- Frequently, only 25 to 50% of the projected benefits are realized at the end of the project.
The Project Management Institute (PMI) reports that organizations that invest in proven project management practices waste 28 times less money because more of their strategic initiatives are completed successfully.
Resourcing your LIMS Program Management Team
Choosing the right LIMS PM from the outset of the project will not only save your organization money by keeping the project on budget but will also help you to avoid the statistically significant failure points outlined above that cause projects to fall short of expectation or fail entirely.
Partnering with a trusted informatics consultant to fulfill your program management needs will ensure that you have the proper qualifications, expertise and resource commitment that is critical to the successful deployment of your LIMS. External consultants can provide a more holistic approach that is highly aligned to your organizational strategy due to their broader level of experience and expertise to deliver optimum results over the full lifecycle of the project and maximize the benefits that you will gain from your LIMS implementation.
Why it Matters to You
A LIMS implementation can be a complex process to navigate and align with the business goals of your organization while tailoring the functionality to your unique laboratory environment. Getting this done right the first time is critical to the long term success of your operations and requires effective and efficient management throughout the project lifecycle.
- Utilizing a qualified program manager from the outset of your project all the way through execution can dramatically improve the benefits you will receive from the project and will ensure that the project is delivered on time and within budget.
- Partnering with an experienced informatics consultant can provide the program management expertise needed to deliver added value and the best possible results for your LIMS deployment.
- Choosing the right LIMS program manager will not only save your organization money by keeping the project on budget but will also help you to avoid the statistically significant failure points outlined above that cause projects to fall short of expectation or fail entirely.
For over 25 years, Astrix has been a market-leader in dedicated digital transformation & dedicated staffing services for science-based businesses. Through our proven laboratory informatics, digital quality & compliance, and scientific staffing services we deliver the highly specialized people, processes, and technology to fundamentally transform how science-based businesses operate. Astrix was founded by scientists to solve the unique challenges which science-based businesses face in the laboratory and beyond. We’re dedicated to helping our clients speed & improve scientific outcom