December 1, 2022
High-performance computing is a fundamental enabler for Big Data, AI, and Advanced Simulations and non-classical computing architectures use parallelism, in-memory processing, and other mechanisms to dramatically increase computing throughput potential.
Non-Classical computing platforms, such as quantum computing or large-scale (i.e., exascale) computing platforms, are making it possible to run previously impossible algorithms to compute in a reasonable time. The development of processes and architectures for highly specialized purposes, use of Graphical Processing Units or GPUs (formerly limited to video programming), and Grid-based cloud computing to enable scalable computing through elasticity enable businesses to run algorithms currently not solvable on digital computers today. As interest and investment continue to grow and these technologies mature, the potential for dramatic increases and scalability in processing power opens new modeling, simulation, and permutation calculations that can help inform Life Sciences R&D.
A Few Industry Trends Associated with Non-classical Computing
- Enabling on-demand compute environments, fully configured for analytics and data sciences use cases including ready access to the data required
- Establishment of statistical and/or data sciences compute environments that support model and code sharing, auto-code technology, and “electronic notebook” capabilities linking code versions to data set versions, enabling sharing, and offering the ability to revisit algorithms with new data sets and verify results on decision data sets with new algorithms
- Drug research and development areas are prime candidates for use of Quantum Computing; potential use cases include hit generation and identification, lead generation and optimization, predictive analysis, and simulations for protein folding, ADME, dosing and solubility prediction, among others
- Similar to the pharmaceutical industry, the chemical industry is also benefiting from development of chemical molecules
Implications for Life Sciences Organizations
High performance computing requires specialized computing platforms, environments, and services to bring them to scale, including collaboration conditions. Life Sciences companies can facilitate the orchestration and elasticity for rapid access to need-specific computing power on demand, coupled with new integrated in silico working environments and services. A strategy based on archetypes will accelerate value in the short term, enabling maximized attention to ensure mid- and long-term solutions.
The following are considerations when looking to leverage non-classical computing:
Data Sciences Ecosystem
- Algorithmically driven science, clinical and operations will require new collaborative environments that marry algorithm code, data, and results. Companies must conceive integrated fabrics using technologies that overcome cumbersome silos associated with today’s systems
- There is a need to enable an evolutionary ecosystem of different computing resources suitable to the breadth needed in life sciences. There are clear compute strategies needed for each of the advanced technologies such as big data, AI, advanced simulation and blockchain.
- Preferred partnerships are also needed to cover the breadth of R&D needs, from contract service providers to academic and start up participants who will lead the run up to exascale and quantum computing
- In order to understand patterns and workflows in scientific, exploratory, translational, and statistical computing, you need to provide an ecosystem of intelligent automated solutions leveraging virtualized services (marketplace) and distributed computing architectures to optimize computational resources wherever data may exist. These solutions need to be on-demand and effectively delivered to end user communities to maximize their usage.
The Importance of the Right Strategy, Processes, and Technology
It is critically important, when looking to incorporate new emerging technologies like non-classical computing into the business, that you ensure you have the right external organizations involved who can assist you. Formulating the appropriate strategy along with the proper processes, and technology is imperative. Astrix’s team of professionals have worked with many of the top life science organizations to assist them with respect to their business needs in these areas. As a partner without a preconceived preference for a specific technology, we work closely with your team to ensure solutions are reviewed and incorporated into your business that will help you succeed.
Why it Matters to You
As the demands of Life Science R&D organizations grow to find new solutions in healthcare, the need to utilize new emerging technologies like non-classical computing will also rise.
In this blog we discussed:
- What non-classical computing is.
- How it impacts the Life Sciences industry.
- Some considerations focused on non-classical computing.
Astrix is the unrivaled market-leader in creating & delivering innovative strategies, solutions, and people to the life science community. Through world class people, process, and technology, Astrix works with clients to fundamentally improve business & scientific outcomes and the quality of life everywhere. Founded by scientists to solve the unique challenges of the life science community, Astrix offers a growing array of strategic, technical, and staffing services designed to deliver value to clients across their organizations.