Senior Laboratory Manager
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Type: Direct Hire
- Job #38692
- Salary: $150,000.00
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The department Senior Manager will direct and manage day to day through subordinate operations manager. This may include training/advising of site management, technologists and support staff and providing specialized expertise in assigned technical areas. The Sr. Manager will manage laboratory proficiency testing/reporting and evaluate/recommend new testing procedures. The incumbent will apply technical skills and knowledge as it relates to laboratory results and accreditation, handling technical support issues for the department. Also responsible for critical review of patient results and reporting in regards to laboratory testing areas including but not limited to Infectious Disease and HLA resulting. The Sr. Manager will be responsible for evaluating and enhancing current operation activities.
Sr Manager is under the general direction and guidance of the Regional Infectious Disease Manager, Laboratory Operations Leadership Team, and Laboratory Director. The Sr. Manager will perform job duties in accordance with GMPs, policies and procedures, and testing requirements and oversee site management execution of essential job duties.
ESSENSITAL JOB DUTIES
- Ensures laboratory has adequate coverage and manages the day-to-day operation of the department to ensure smooth flow of samples, testing and results with a 24/7/365-day laboratory.
- Motivates staff through the Mission and Vision while hiring, coaching, performance reviews, managing, and terminating assigned staff
- Oversees the orientation of new laboratory staff to their responsibilities and the function of the laboratory
- Performs technologist job duties as needed to support appropriate staffing levels.
- Assures that review of test results is timely and accurate and be involved with reporting patient results.
- Counsels’ laboratory staff about problems encountered in daily operations and ensures smooth communication escalation paths to internal and external clients
- Identifies process improvements to better meet client expectations and company objectives and works with process improvement team to implement
- Recommends new equipment for the department and performs function of project owner with in Project Management Team
- Oversees the monitoring of inventory/ordering by establishing and maintain par levels and re-stocking points for supplies and reagents.
- Serves as a liaison for the laboratory to outside vendors.
- Assures technologists are adequately trained. Provides training and technical advice to technologists and other support staff. Promotes uniformity in the implementation of policies and procedures.
- Tracks and trends of department Key Performance Indicators monthly and timely investigates outliers for communication of process improvements.
- Conducts timely investigations in coordination with Quality Assurance related to site quality events, including, but not limited to customer complaints, inquiries, non-conformances, corrective actions, and audit findings.
- Works with Regulatory Agencies in coordination with Quality Assurance to site quality audits and responses in a timely manner
- Performs duties in compliance with all applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies and cGMP expectations, including, but on limited to: Facility and equipment maintenance, validation review and approval, training (internal, continuing education, proficiency testing, annual GMP, etc.).
- Supports business philosophy, leadership values and ethics.
- Meets basic expectations of quality management system, including, but not limited to good workmanship, adherence to standard operational procedures, training, good documentation practices, accurate recordkeeping so the company may meet its stated quality policy and objectives.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in a chemical, physical, biological science or a clinical laboratory science/medical technology program by an accrediting institution. Knowledge of regulatory requirements in both the CAP/CLIA setting as well as knowledge of FDA, and industry standards.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years of laboratory experience
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, and techniques used in laboratory work
- Excellent and effective written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional cross-functional team leadership skills and ability to work in close collaboration with others.
- Strong organizational and planning skills as well as strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, adapt to change and manage multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to analyze, define and effectively convey difficult and complex issues in a way that accurately communicates the issues to leadership.
- Technical knowledge of federal, state and local standards, regulations, guidelines and requirements effecting operations of a clinical reference laboratory.