Research Associate I
- Location: Durham, NC
- Type: Contract
- Job #37644
Global cutting-edge biotech company focusing on engineering precision genetic medicine for rare diseases is hiring a Research Associate in Durham, NC. This is a contract opportunity with a potential for conversion and great for someone with experience in nucleic acid and protein purification, Western blot, PCR, and cloning. A successful candidate will have a Bachelors degree in Molecular Biology, Immunology, Cell Biology, Bioengineering or a related field, and 1-3 years of experience in an related laboratory setting.
As a Research Associate, you will provide laboratory support, performs experiments, and collects data on in vitro, ex vivo, and/or in vivo studies to investigate the effects of CRISPR-based gene editing on gene and protein expression, tissue pathology, and disease phenotype in animal models of neuromuscular and/or neurodegenerative disorders. This role provides laboratory support of day-to-day GCLP analyses and develops cutting-edge CRISPR-based technology platforms for research and therapeutic applications.
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm
Terms: 6 months contract possibility to convert based on performance but this is not guaranteed
Pay: up to $25/hr.
Must be fully vaccinated for Covid (no booster needed)
- Conducts experiments at the direction of scientists, performs routine laboratory functions using a variety of assay formats such as tissue culture, transfections, molecular cloning, tissue sectioning, nucleic acid and protein purification, Western blot, PCR, and next-generation sequencing, and coordinates activities and timelines through close collaboration with the laboratory head and other laboratory staff.
- Designs and clones CRISPR/Cas-based plasmids
- Participates in evaluation and implementation of new technologies to improve quality and robustness of sample analysis.
- Troubleshoots routine technical challenges and contributes to their resolution.
- Contributes to safe, efficient and effective laboratory environment with personal accountability; equipment procurement and maintenance, lab set up and maintenance; ordering of reagents, glass and plastic-ware kits and equipment to keep the laboratory stocked and functional.
- Maintains compliant laboratory records, authors technical documents, protocols and reports; ensures effective high quality timely and appropriate documentation in laboratory notebooks and internal technical reports in accordance with Good Documentation Practices (GDPs).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- B.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Cell Biology, Bioengineering, or related field with at least 1 year of relevant experience in a laboratory setting.
- Ability to plan and carry out experiments independently and to work with complex instrumentation and software.
- Knowledge and experience with CRISPR/Cas-based gene editing is desirable
- Prior experience with nucleic acid and protein purification, Western blot, PCR, and cloning is desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic laboratory methods working with attention to detail and high standards for data integrity and quality
- Ability to execute sample handling and analysis with strict adherence to laboratory methods and SOPs.
**This job description is a complete list of all desired skills but not all are required. We strongly encourage candidates who have some of the skills to apply. We look forward to a conversation to learn more about you**