R&D Manager – Skin Care
- Location: Dallas Fort Worth
- Type: Direct Hire
- Job #33096
Job Title: R&D Manager- Skin Care
Department: Research and Development
Reports To: Chief of Manufacturing
The Manager for skincare product development works with the chief of manufacturing to help drive and lead calendarized and non-calendarized initiatives within the Sunrider Brand. Work closely with R&D, Marketing, Packaging, Legal and Global Brand Supply Chain teams to ensure all developmental milestones are achieved based on launch timelines. Candidates must be passionate, creative, and experienced in product development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes the following, but other duties may be assigned as company’s needs dictate.
- Manage time and productivity of 2-4 skin care research scientists.
- Coordinates, manages and actively participates in programs for product development related activities, including development of new products, improvement to and maintenance of existing products.
- Provide estimated timelines, costs, regulatory concerns, and other guidance in the design of new programs.
- Investigates new raw materials, second, or replacement sourcing of raw materials. Develops testing specifications for raw materials, process intermediates and finished goods.
- Investigates and manages programs to develop and validate new test methods and new or improved processes.
- Oversee record keeping with regards to research and analysis activities according to applicable government regulations, manufacturing processes, or other considerations, and approves modifications of formulas, standards, specifications, and processes.
- Interprets results of laboratory activities and provides reports of activities to management.
- Advises management, technical personnel, and affiliates regarding scientific aspects of products’ performance, quality, and character.
- Take ownership over your assigned programs and work closely with the Chief of Manufacturing or Director of R&D to help drive assigned calendarized launches in all stages from concept to finished products.
- Work closely with R&D, Marketing, Packaging, Legal and Global Brand Supply Chain teams to ensure all developmental milestones are achieved based on launch timelines
- Lead your program in terms of updates, next steps, critical issues, etc. during weekly status meetings with our cross functional partners
- Evaluate lab, pilot, first production and standard batch submission in a timely manner. Communicate desired modifications or approvals to the lab via product submission form.
- Prepare Product Fact Sheets, dossiers, turnover presentations, formulation statements, manufacturing instructions and technical reports as necessary under the supervision of executive management.
- Present product turnover to the cross functional teams
- Keep an organized system for all benchmark submissions, standards, and other related products
- Conduct panel tests when needed, create questionnaires, analyze data, and make recommendations based on your learnings.
- Be abreast of new trends in and out of the industry. Research competitive marketplace for new products, read magazines, review social media sites, attend trend seminars, industry trade shows and report on trends and related product developments when available
Directly supervises up to 4 product development professionals. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent in a scientific discipline; and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have demonstrated thorough knowledge of common compounding techniques and reagents. Demonstrated ability to supervise the activities of subordinates is required. Must have supervisory or management experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific literature, technical journals, legal documents, and governmental regulations. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customer, regulatory agencies, or Legal Department. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and analytical methods procedures. Ability to effectively present information to owners of the company, management, Legal Department and staff.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as fractions, ratios and proportions, ratios and proportions to practical situations. Ability to apply statistical formulas and functions as necessary to test hypotheses. Ability to train staff as necessary in the use of such concepts.
Must have knowledge of Database software, Development software; Manufacturing software; Project Management software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to use analytical instruments requiring accurate focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic, caustic, or flammable chemicals, thermal heat sources and risk of electric shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Job may require travel by airplane, automobile or other public conveyance.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Any and all are a plus.