PRN Medical Technologist
- Location: Alpharetta, GA
- Type: Contract To Hire
- Job #35078
Schedule: PRN – no set average of hours but do need to be able to cover Saturdays as needed
Perform Flow Cytometry processing for Leukemia/Lymphoma and PNH testing. Utilizing the cytometry software, perform data acquisition of patient samples. Assist with daily QC/QA, instrument maintenance, and troubleshooting. Assist with validation projects. Assist specimen management in the triage and proper specimen handling of specimens, including sterile split technique.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Sample Preparation: Identify, lyse, and stain samples for flow cytometric testing.
- Sample Splits: Observe principles of sterile technique in carrying out daily responsibilities for splitting samples and sample preparation for other departments.
- Cytometers: Properly identify and acquire patient samples, as well as troubleshoot and perform daily maintenance on all cytometers and within laboratory.
- Laboratory equipment: Perform quality control, calibration, routine maintenance and basic troubleshooting.
- Fresh Prep: Accurately verify that all specimens are properly identified, process work completely and accurately, to include requisitions and any additional documents accompanying specimens.
- Send outs: Coordinate and prepare patient samples/slides for shipment
- Reports: Locate and maintain patient reports/folders using laboratory LIS
- Participate in the development of SOPs including updates as required.
- Professional Development: Attend in-services, reads professional literature, and participate in educational programs and activities to remain abreast of developments in the field of flow cytometry. Participate in proficiency testing.
- Quality Control: Comply with quality control policies and procedures to ensure that all aspects of laboratory operation are performed in accordance with accepted standards and applicable laws for clinical laboratories.
- Reagents/Media: Prepare reagents, stains, and media in accordance with laboratory protocol.
- Safety: Practice universal precautions measures necessary for the handling of patient specimens and use proper PPE when working in the laboratory.
- Supplies: Assist in maintaining an adequate stock of commonly used supplies.
- Perform related responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's degree in laboratory science or related scientific field.
- 1-3 years of flow cytometry experience
- Certification as a medical laboratory technologist or clinical scientist with a recognized agency (ASCP,NCA, HEW,etc)
- Laboratory personnel participating in licensure or certification maintenance programs must complete the number of continuing education hours prescribed by their licensing or certifying agency.
- Technical laboratory personnel whose certification has been grandfathered and does not require participation in a certification maintenance program must complete at least twelve hours of continuing education annually.