Pathology Support Specialist
- Location: Bethesda, Maryland
- Type: Direct Hire
- Job #34797
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Center for Cancer Research (CCR)
Laboratory of Pathology (LP)
Provide pathology support services to the National Cancer Institute’s (NCI) Laboratory of Pathology.
- Provide administrative support of the clinical services for the Hematopathology office.
- Responsible for accessioning and processing patient pathology material to include order forms, re-ports, slides, and paraffin blocks. Accurately accounts for and accession submitted material (e.g., insure an accurate count and description of submitted slides and paraffin blocks and appropriate labeling, based on medical record reports and other documentation from the submitting hospital).
- Accessions fresh tissue samples collected from NIH clinics, nursing units, and Operating Room; ensuring accuracy of patient identification matching samples with orders. Enters patient cases into Laboratory Information System, labels samples with LIS barcoded labels, and distributes samples and requisitions to the Pathologists Assistant, Clinical Fellows, or Histopathology technician.
- Scan paper records pathology reports and consultative reports from submitting facilities into .pdf files and transfer those files to a location on the NIH network that is accessible for physicians to retrieve.
- Respond to incoming phone calls, inquiring about status of pathology cases. Check LIS system to determine if case is signed out. If case is signed out, pathology report may be faxed to qualified medical professionals. If case is not signed out, use the LIS to print the preliminary report and pro-vide same to the pathology fellow/ resident responsible for the case.
- Respond to phone inquiries concerning instructions for submission of consultation cases. Provide instructions, either by FAX, Email, or phone. Respond to phone inquiries from physicians, patients, inquiring about content of reports, i.e., desiring to discuss diagnosis with physician.
- Return above materials (blocks, slide, and reports) via Certified mail, return receipt requested.
- Print out copy of final report, and provide copy to relevant attending, with relevant contact information for caller.
- Screen telephone calls and visitors to office and take appropriate actions, including messages and transferring to voicemail.
- Accession and process patient pathology material to include order forms, reports, slides, paraffin blocks.
- Accessions fresh tissue samples and provides to PAs, Fellows or Histology Technicians for processing.
- Use the LIS Soft path scanning software to scan patient records.
- Submit scanned material into pdf format to have these records archived on the laboratory’s information system network.
- Ensure an accurate count and description of submitted slides and paraffin blocks and appropriate labeling, based on medical record reports and other documentation from the submitting hospital
- Computer generated work including preparing charts, graphs, and slides; gather information using databases and the internet.
- Bachelor degree in life science or high school degree (or equivalent) with four or more years of experience in related field.
- Experience or training in medical terminology preferred
- Willingness to work with human tissue samples
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) and excellent organizational and time management skills.
The world-famous “Building 10” on NIH’s main campus in Bethesda, MD