- Location: Houston, TX
- Type: Contract To Hire
- Job #38483
Exciting opportunity to take part clinical research for development of of therapeutics and projects through assay development, validation, and execution. Work with cross-functional groups on an array of scientific projects.
The Scientist role will focus on molecular projects with emphasis on assay design and development, validation, and execution in a timely manner. Perform assays or analyses according to SOPs and support development of new procedures and improvement of existing SOPs. Work together with assigned laboratory staff to ensure efficient organization, quality, development and execution of project(s). Communicate results effectively to clients and develop lasting relationships to support future work.
Essential functions of the job include but are not limited to:
- Support the development and implementation of next generation sequencing (NGS) scientific services to fulfill the Translational Research needs of customers
- Design and perform experiments, independently and accurately analyze and present data
- High quality output is essential with the ability to build efficiency into improving productivity metrics
- Work with managers and team members to develop project timelines and meet milestones.
- Train and mentor junior staff in molecular techniques, data analysis, collation and presentation
- Assist in establishing and improving all procedures and required SOP documentation
- Responsible for troubleshooting and correcting scientific issues/problems
- Identify, update and implement emerging laboratory techniques
- Responsible for ensuring all equipment in the molecular laboratory is appropriately qualified, that preventative maintenance is performed as scheduled and that team members are thoroughly trained in the correct use and maintenance of the equipment
- Maintain and support safe lab practices and environment
- Work collaboratively with other technical teams in resource sharing and providing technical expertise
- Monitor Product and Service/R&D related project expenses
- Act as a scientific resource externally to clients and internally, as needed
- Assists with writing, reviewing and editing contract and grant applications/proposals as appropriate
- Assist with writing and publishing papers, abstracts, techniques/or chapters to maintain the scientific standard and image of the company.
- May present completed work at appropriate scientific meetings and in publications
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree with a concentration in Biology, Chemistry, Life Sciences, or related field of study
- 5+ years’ related experience in an academic core or industry
- OR PhD. in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology, Genetics or related fields with post doc lab experience.
- Experience in molecular biology, genomics or bioinformatics
- Ability to prioritize tasks and function in a team-oriented environment
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Must have the ability to organize and analyze data, as well as prepare reports
- Excellent use of judgment and discretion required
- Extended work hours may be occasionally necessary in order to meet business demands
- Ability to lift and carry between 1-15 lbs.; Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. overhead with assistance; frequently required to sit, grasp, and use right/left finger dexterity; May be exposed to a cold freezer environment (Freezer temperatures range between -20ºC -196ºC)
- Must be able to read, write, speak fluently and comprehend the English language
- Wet lab experience in the entire NGS workflow (Illumina or Ion Torrent), from library preparation to sequencing is highly desired.
- Experience in quantitative PCR (qPCR), digital droplet PCR (ddPCR) and NanoString is a plus.
- Experience in DNA and RNA extractions from a variety of sources is a plus.
- A solid understanding of current GLP and/or ISO/CAP/CLIA standards
- A combination of molecular biology wet lab and bioinformatics skills
This job description is a complete list of all desired skills but not all are required. We strongly encourage candidates who have some of the skills to apply. We look forward to a conversation to learn more about you!