- Location: St Charles, IL
- Type: Direct Hire
- Job #37486
Mass Spectrometry/Chromatography Lead Scientist (Diagnostics)
Under the direction of the chromatography manager and the assistant laboratory director, lead scientist oversees and performs tests requiring specialized scientific knowledge and skills. This position blends research and analytical testing, with time evenly split between both.
Successful candidate is expected to operate, monitor, and maintain LC-MS and GC-MS instruments to provide accurate results in biological samples . In addition, they will be responsible for developing and improving analytical methods and their transfer to production environment.
Strong scientific leadership and knowledge is required. Lead scientist will receive training and assistance from laboratory manager and assistant laboratory director to meet these objectives.
- Actively carry out the direction and instruction given by the Chromatography Manager, Lab Director, and/or Assistant Lab Director.
- Assists manager with evaluating daily work load and scheduling work to meet DDI expected turnaround times
- Assure that equipment and instruments are running according to specifications with minimum downtime and direct maintenance assignments to other personnel
- Provide technical support and training to staff in basic instrument operation and maintenance, and in sample prep procedures
- Recommends measures to improve production methods and equipment performance
- Understands technical requirements and recommends R&D objectives
- Prepare and analyze samples for quantitative analysis by following methods outlined in SOPs.
- Prepare equipment to test prepared samples, sets up, adjust and operate laboratory equipment and instruments such as the LC/MS/MS, Gas Chromatograph, and HPLC.
- Calibrate instruments and monitor readings to ensure accuracy
- Be proficient in use of software used in chromatography integration and processing of analyses
- Report immediately any anomalies in instrumentation or procedures to Lab Manager.
- Maintain cleanliness of own work area, remove trash and dispose of samples as needed
- Follow established policies and procedures when test systems are not within acceptable levels
- Adhere to laboratory’s quality control policies and document all quality control activities
- Document all corrective actions taken
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results, and either correct the problem or immediately notify the lab manager
- Must utilize appropriate laboratory safety rules and assure use of personnel protective equipment
- Maintain communication with managers in regard to work flow, personnel and instrument issues
- Conduct research to investigate complaints and errors in existing methods
Directly leads sample preparation team members. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include:
- Participate in recruiting, interviewing, hiring and training employees
- Plan, assign and direct work related to the operation of chromatographic instruments.
- Provide feedback and guidance to direct reports, including conducting performance reviews and ad hoc coaching
- Assure adequate staffing and prepare work schedules
1) MD, PhD and 1 year clinical or chromatography experience or,
2) a master’s in a chemical, physical, or biological science and 2 years experience in clinical or chromatography; or
3) a Bachelor degree in medical technology (or equivalent) or chemistry or analytical science, and 4 years experience in related field.
4) One year or more of clinical experience is a plus!
5) Experience with chromatography instruments is required. (LC/MS/MS, Gas Chromatograph, and HPLC)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; stoop, kneel, crouch; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and color vision.
Work Environment :
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you fit the above profile, we would love to hear from you!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00 – $110,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Saint Charles, IL: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- LC/MS/MS, Gas Chromatography, and HPLC: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location