Laboratory Technician I – MA
- Location: Cambridge
- Type: Direct Hire
- Job #37018
Role: Lab Tech
Location: Cambridge, MA
Performs routine semen banking procedures by performing the following duties.
- Performs semen analysis, intrauterine (IUI) and intracervical (ICI) insemination semen preparation, post-thaw analysis and leucoscreen testing.
- Prepares blood and urine specimens for transport to the reference laboratory.
- Performs routine cryogenic procedures including tank checks, vial transfers, quality control checks (verifying vial labels and number/type of vials), preparing dry shippers, and processing client vial pick-up and returns.
- Conducts and accurately records all required quality control checks; takes corrective action as needed.
- Communicates any errors, accidents or incidents to the Branch/Laboratory Manager or Laboratory Supervisor.
- Performs routine cleaning of laboratory equipment.
- Complies with all regulatory, quality assurance, quality control, standard operating, and safety procedures.
- Participates in proficiency and competency assessments.
- Participates in the review of standard operating procedures.
- Prepares media and performs parallel testing as required.
- Assists with lab supply maintenance.
- Performs opening and closing duties.
- Provides back-up coverage for donor desk as needed.
- May perform phlebotomy.
- Other duties and projects as required.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma minimum, Bachelor’s degree in Science preferred, and one to two years related experience and/or training
Other Skills and Abilities
- Phase-contrast microscopy skills; excellent customer service skills; strong attention to details; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; high level of interpersonal skills to interact with peers and management; excellent organizational skills; ability to maintain confidentiality; and ability to travel.
- Familiarity with laboratory and medical terminology; training in the handling of liquid nitrogen desirable
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and depth perception.