Lab Technician II
- Location: Champaign, IL
- Type: Contract To Hire
- Job #37581
The perfect opportunity for a Chemist to kickstart their career in Champaign, Illinois!
Chemical Lab Technician II
$24+/hour – Monday to Friday 8a-5p (Flexible hours) – Contract to Hire
We're looking for a Chemical Technician II to join our growing laboratory in Champaign that wants to build something great with an incredible group of people.
What will you be doing?
Unlike many entry level positions, you will have the opportunity to work with several different methods expanding you understanding of acid/base titrations, component solubility, spectrographic assays, and method mechanics. What’s more, you will have access to modern instrumentation and collaboration with experienced peers. This role has tremendous growth opportunities for the right candidate and will benefit those who are hardworking and conscientious scientists.
In addition to a strong academic record or experience, the right candidate will have good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and be able to work well within a team. The ideal candidate will be engaging, a good people person, someone with high energy and a high sense of urgency.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides support for chemists
- Prepares samples, standards, and solutions
- Volumetric/Gravimetric preparations and sample extraction
- Sets up, adjusts, operates, and calibrates basic laboratory equipment and instruments
- Performs standard lab analyses under direct supervision
- Prepares and documents test results in lab records, including notebooks, audit trails, standardized forms, and other documentation
- Performs work in compliance with current procedures and regulations
- Performs general laboratory housekeeping duties
- Cleans and maintains glassware and pipettes
- Cleans laboratory equipment and instruments
- Log-out/in reagents and samples
- Computer literate with common PC based applications
- MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Knowledgeable in use of LIMS
- Data acquisition programs
- Has basic knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, procedures, and regulations
- Works under immediate supervision
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned
What qualifications do you need?
- Knowledge of analytical chemistry
- BA/BS Chemistry, Biology, or related scientific degree
- 2 years of related industry experience in an analytical laboratory
- Well educated, ambitious, and experienced with HPLC and ICP/MS
- Knowledge of laboratory safety precautions and protocols for safe handling and the disposal of hazardous agents/reagents, chemicals, and materials
- Organization, communication, and analytical skills
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate technical and business information, both oral and written to others, including co-workers, supervisors, subordinates, clients, and vendors
- Intermediate mathematical skills, including algebraic functions, statistics (mean, median, standard deviation, variance, probability), basic geometry (area, volume calculations), and scientific calculators
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to work varied and extended hours/days, as business dictates