Histology Technician – 3rd Shift
- Location: Alpharetta, GA
- Type: Direct Hire
- Job #35076
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 11PM – 7:30AM
Pay range: $26/hr.- $35/hr. + shift differential
- HT (ASCP) Histotechnician certification required; HTL (ASCP) Histotechnologist preferred
- A minimum of 2 years of general histology lab experience,
Responsible for various techniques involved with preparation, processing and staining of tissue specimens for examination and diagnosis. Prepares microscopic slides for diagnostic purposes; performs diagnostic tests; maintains laboratory, equipment and records.
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares microscopic slides for patient diagnosis to include: tissue processing, embedding and tissue orientation, sectioning of tissue blocks with preparation of microscopic slides, staining and submission of slides to Pathologist for diagnosis and reporting.
- Performs procedures within the scope of practice for a Histotechnician to include special staining procedures, immunohistochemistry and various other special procedures.
- Strives to meet established parameters such as departmental turnaround time (TAT).
- Utilizes the Laboratory Information System for processing and tracking, printing slide labels, ordering stains, and a variety of QA and reporting functions.
- Participates in the on-call program as needed and call back for off-shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Monitors inventory of the department and routinely restocks supplies and alerts leadership of the need for reordering.
- Maintains laboratory records and documentation as required by laboratory procedures and/or hospital record retention policies.
- Follows the chemical and recycling program for xylene and formalin.
- Follows established safety and biohazard procedures and standard precautions at all times. Disposes biohazardous wastes following laboratory protocols (see laboratory safety manual and chemical hygiene plan.
- Quality Assurance: Ensure compliance with quality control policies and procedures to ensure that all aspects of laboratory operation are performed in accordance with accepted standards and applicable laws for clinical laboratories.
- AA Degree OR Equivalent combination of Education/Experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological /Physical sciences preferred.
- HT (ASCP) Histotechnician certification required; HTL (ASCP) Histotechnologist preferred.
- Laboratory personnel participating in licensure or certification maintenance programs must complete the number of continuing education hours prescribed by their licensing or certifying agency.
- Technical laboratory personnel whose certification has been grandfathered and does not require participation in a certification maintenance program must complete at least twelve hours of continuing education annually
- A minimum of 2 years of general histology lab experience, with immunohistochemistry experience preferred.
- Must satisfy CLIA regulations to perform high complexity testing.