Flow Cytometry Specialist
- Location: Bethesda, MD
- Type: Direct Hire
- Job #34982
ROLES / RESPONSIBILITES
- Prepare sheath fluid and reagents needed for the instruments in the Core facility
- Perform daily calibration, operation and maintenance of Becton Dickinson (BD) flow cytometry cell analyzers including LSRII, LSRFortessa, LSRFortessa X20 and SymphonyA5.
- Perform calibration, operation and maintenance of BD FACSAria, BD Symphony A6, and BD FACS FUSION cell sorters.
- Perform electronic cell sorting of cell populations based on surface markers and/or intracellular probes.
- Collaborate with staff on performing complex multiparameter analysis, real time calcium flux analysis and DNA content analysis.
- Perform multicolor data acquisition using BD FACSDiva.
- Provide assistance to facility users in instrument operation and troubleshooting.
- Manage Flouorchrome-labelled Reagent Inventory for Facility. Supervise tittering by users, aliquot reagents for users.
- Collaborate with scientists and statisticians in NCI, NIH, and extramural research institutions as appropriate, to advance the research projects and elucidation of cancer-related data.
- Collaborate with NIH/NCI expert staff to clarify needs and project objectives through the operation of flow cytometers.
- Attend seminars within the National Institute of Health/Center for Cancer Research/Experimental Immunology Branch; pursue additional training, where necessary; participate in discussions at meetings.
- Prepare data sets, Tables and Figures for collaborative papers prepared for publication in peer-reviewed journals; assemble and write papers for first-author publication in peer-reviewed papers.
- Participate in special committees, panels, and colloquia
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Chemistry or a related discipline.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in flow cytometry with electronic cell sorting or in a biomedical research laboratory or in operation/troubleshooting of complex biomedical instrumentation.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent computer skills and experience.
- Customer Service experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, organizational and time management skills.