The Veterinarian will work to support the Gene Therapy Rodent Facility in Columbus, OH. The role will own all aspects of rodent care including but not limited to; maintaining compliance, providing welfare advice and treatment plans. This role will work with vivarium management and team leads to understand current operations and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, guidelines and standards that relate to animal care and use.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Provide routine and/or specialized veterinary medical and surgical services and examinations for rodents on site
- Participation, guidance and collaboration on Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Collaborate with study directors in providing sound scientific and medical advice in support of study designs and objectives
- Assist in maintaining compliance with IACUC guidelines and regulations governing the humane care and use of laboratory animals
- Assist in the development, review, revision and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) relating to animal issues
- Assist in preventative health program execution, quarantine programs, review of vendor health records and oversight of colony
- Establish site specific AAALAC accreditation program alongside vivarium leadership
- Provide instructions to veterinary technician for any required treatments or observations
- Make recommendations and assist in establishing and enhancing veterinary and animal care standards
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, guidelines, and standards that relate to animal care and use.
- Oversee colony health monitoring
- Documentation of surgical procedures, medical evaluations and treatments performed to standards required by Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations
Desired Education and Skills:
- DVM degree from accredited institution, licensed in the United States and a license to practice in the state of Ohio.
- 1-2 years Experience in animal research. May be required to work off hours as needed, including weekend and holidays.
- Preferred DACLAM certification in progress or achieved
- Preferred experience serving on Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee and involved with AAALAC program accreditation.
- GLP experience preferred