- Location: Chicago, IL
- Type: Contract To Hire
- Job #37482
$24/hour – Mon-Fri or Tues-Sat starting between 6a-10a – Contract to Hire
Astrix Technology is seeking a Chemist to join our food manufacturing client in the Elgin, IL area! This is a great opportunity to join a growing team and gain experience with a wide array of instrumentation and technologies, such as HPLC, PCR, and more!
- Analyses w/Extractions (Cholesterol, FAP, ICP, MOJO, FFA, etc.)
- Ensure that proper analysis methods are conducted on the appropriate samples.
- Maintain chemistry quality control records and procedures for each test.
- Extract desired components from samples with appropriate processes such as distillation, solvent extraction and acid digestion, so that concentrations can be determined.
- Calculate the concentration of components present in samples and post results.
- Wash glassware as needed and prepare samples as needed.
- Prepare standards or reagents that are needed for the analysis procedure.
- Maintain knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) required to complete job responsibilities.
- Maintain clean laboratory by washing countertops, sweeping floors, storing analysis materials, etc.
- Initiate and investigate customer complaint and non-conformances Determine root cause and corrective action
- Review batches and respond to out of specification results or questionable data.
- Maintain equipment records in appropriate software systems. Meet the housekeeping schedule on time.
- This position has the responsibility and authority to identify departures from the quality system or test procedures and document such observations in accordance with the prescribed nonconformance system and the supervisor is notified.
- Responsibility to support laboratory management in the implementation maintenance and improvement of the management system.
- Adhere to all safety policies.
Required Education and Qualifications:
- Associates degree required; Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry preferred.
- 1-2 years’ relevant work experience.
- Must have a basic knowledge of microbiology to accurately perform testing procedures and obtain accurate results.
- A basic knowledge of instrumentation and theory including HPLC, GC, ICP, and AA is a plus!
- Basic knowledge of food science is helpful to analyze the chemical content of samples.
- General knowledge of chemistry to perform analyses and general knowledge of the Laboratory Information Management (LIMS) system
- System and Laboratory Instrument Data systems are required to process client data.
- A broad knowledge of analytical chemistry to perform analysis procedures.
- Manual dexterity is needed for pipetting samples where required.