R&D Chemist, Powder Coatings
A global manufacturer is hiring an R&D Chemist who will be responsible for developing and optimizing current and new products. Working with existing and potential customers to develop and test UV powder formulations over customer materials.
- Formulate and develop UV curable powder coating formulations to obtain necessary properties over a variety of substrates.
- Test, evaluate, and qualify resin chemistries in formulated UV curable powder formulations.
- Operate extruding and milling equipment for small scale R&D powder batch manufacturing.
- Operate lab scale powder coating application and curing equipment.
- Document and record thoroughly R&D testing and development data.
- Create technical lab reports as needed for development projects.
- Understand and use methods of industry standards for testing of coatings (i.e. ASTM, ISO, etc.).
- Develop DOEs for customer and internal development projects.
- Manage multiple internal and external development projects simultaneously.
- Regularly coordinate and communicate with business development team for customer development and technical support.
- Research new and alternative technologies, raw materials, processes and evaluate for use in UV powder coatings.
- Assist in troubleshooting production product defects.
- Help with QC or production as needed.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or similar with 5 or more years of laboratory/development experience in powder coating manufacturing.
- The position requires a very high level of attention to detail, and accurate & timely record-keeping skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both technical and non-technical, can work in a small company environment where teamwork and team building are essential for success, strong organizational skills, able to simultaneously manage multiple projects, and able to lift 55 pounds.
- Travel may be periodically required.
- Previous experience with interpreting analytical data such as DSC, photo-DSC, FTI, UV curable chemistries experience, and color matching experience