PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DUTIES:
- Work on projects mostly for Federal Agencies, such as Department of Defense and Environmental Protection Agency.
- Federal-led sites include both hazardous waste and munitions site investigation and remediation projects performed under CERCLA, RCRA, and state-specific regulations.
- Operation and maintenance (O&M) and long-term monitoring (LTM) in support of the remediation systems in place at Fort Sheridan.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a science discipline. Examples include:
- Geosciences (geology, geochemistry, hydrogeology, geotechnical)
- 3 to 10 years of progressive experience in environmental consulting, remediation, or a related field.
- Specific experience that will be considered to meet this requirement includes:
- Field sampling experience of groundwater, soil, sediment, air
- Remediation system implementation and O&M (pump and treat systems, leachate management, landfill flares, in-situ remediation, etc.)
- Understanding of and comfort working with mechanical systems
- Report writing in accordance with regulatory requirements including RCRA, CERCLA, UST Programs
- General Federal/State regulatory programs
OTHER REQUIRED CRITERIA:
- 40-Hour OSHA HAZWOPER Training/8-Hour Refresher training if needed.
- Current valid driver’s license and ability to pass a HAZWOPER medical exam and drug screen.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Experience with remediation systems operation and LTM.
- Experience with asbestos inspections and reporting.
- Extensive knowledge of Federal and/or State Regulations.
- Understanding of chemistry and Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs) as it relates to environmental sample analyses.
- Understanding of AutoCAD or GIS Software.
- Professional Registration or Ability to get Professional Registration, i.e., PG, CHMM.
WORK CONTEXT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Regularly works in outdoor conditions that may include inclement weather, such as heat and humidity, extreme cold with snow/ice.
- Must have the ability to work in full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including respiratory protection which may include SCBA, APR, SAR.
- Must understand and follow client SOPs for specific task(s).
- Must be able to travel to work/project sites and traverse all types of terrain, often only on foot.