Product Development Engineer/Scientist
Looking for a Product Development Engineer in Commerce, CA! You will be supporting an international focus and innovative, high-quality, reliable products. With more than thirty production sites and sales entities in over twenty countries, we are one of the world’s leading plastic product manufacturers.
If interested, please feel free to reach out to Cassie Jimenez at email@example.com.
TYPICAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Support production, product development and maintenance to develop, implement and achieve operations critical success factors. Contribute and support all areas in regards to equipment and process upgrades, and new installations in an effort to manufacture optimal quality films and compounds.
PRIMARY POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct processing trials such as film extrusion, compounding, physical testing and analysis of sample along with writing technical reports of those studies
- Optimize process conditions to increase efficiency during new product launches
- Implement innovations, improvements, and cost reduction projects
- Improve manufacturing processes, including but not limited to scrap reduction, justifying capital expenditures, troubleshooting process problems, increasing product quality, reducing set up time, maximizing machine output and the implementation of change with supporting documentation.
- Provide technical/engineering support to production and other plant functions
- Assist with the selection of new equipment, sets up new equipment, and trains staff in the proper operation of equipment
- Participate actively in equipment and product validations.
- Comprehension of all relevant quality management system factors and documents that refer to the job category and the awareness by the individual of their relevance and importance. That includes but is not limited to, understanding of the Quality Policy, how the individual’s performance contributes to meeting of the Critical Success Factors and specific job category or position related procedures.
COMPANY REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- Position holder will have a high school diploma or equivalency.
- Ability to speak and comprehend the English language as determined through appropriate testing and/or the interview process.
- Able to read and comprehend and to legibly write the English language as determined through appropriate testing and/or the interview process.
- Mathematics and reasoning skills as determined through applicable aptitude and achievement tests.
- A position in areas, such as the maintenance department where specific skills such as electrical knowledge are required, will require documented evidence of competency in those skills.
POSITION REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- Minimum BS in Plastic Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Manufacturing Engineering. Degree requirement can be optional if at least 10-15 years relevant hands-on experience.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a Manufacturing environment within Process Engineering for Plastics / Polymers / Compounding/Film Extrusion/Calendaring.
- Hands-on is a must.
- Knowledge of the Lean Six Sigma quality tools in order to fully investigate root cause analysis & implement associated corrective actions in a timely manner (SPC, TQM, Process Capability, Control Charts, 5S, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience in assessing, evaluating, and implementing recommendations in improving processes, productivity and material utilization improvements that result in plant yield improvements is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to lead investigations and implementations of associated corrective actions relating to applicable Customer Complaints.
- Must be proficient with computers.
- Ability to write procedures, work instructions, trial protocols and reports, and other related documents.