November 15, 2022
What is Composable Architecture
Composable Architecture shifts the focus from monolithic application suites and hosting to use of best of breed solutions as part of a unified platform-ecosystem. By leveraging business architecture, technologies, and agile thinking, organizations can speed discovery, gain greater agility, and enable flexibility to handle future changes. Many organizations find that the fundamental components to enable Composable Architecture are already in place.
Composable architecture offers a fresh perspective on how to align the business with technology by utilizing components that work together, thus improving the way organizations can use existing competencies and making it easier to build complex fit for function solutions without traditional point to point integrations and coding. By breaking down traditional organizational silos and introducing API-centric models, developers are able to more efficiently access data and drive workflows cross-functionally and drive digital disruption. 1
Benefit to Life Sciences
The value of composable architecture is that Life Sciences R&D needs to deliver innovation and adapt quickly to industry needs. This requires scalable technologies which can be implemented efficiently, agilely and in less time. Composable architecture fits the bill and makes it feasible to deliver technologies which can be assembled quickly, reassembled if needed and extended in the future.
Developing a platform centric composable architecture approach for capabilities across R&D:
- Reduces redundant capabilities
- Facilitates and accelerates AI adaptation
- Enables faster digital transformation efforts
- Unifies the user experience
- Supports workflow orchestration
Considerations when implementing Composable Architecture
Here are several key considerations for organizations moving towards Composable Architecture:
Composable Architecture and Organization Readiness
- Establish powerful integration platform (API management) strategy to enable democratized, self-service integration and reduce point to point integrations
- Enable business-user focused applications and modernize existing solutions (monolithic applications). to adapt support and expand a modular architecture ecosystem, expand modular architecture around the same,
- Maintain traditional or SaaS solutions when they fulfill needs easily, but combine with other solutions to more fully meet the needs of the business and support other capabilities more seamlessly.
Partnerships and Vendor Management
A few key considerations relative to internal and external collaboration and partnering:
- Support deeper collaboration between internal stakeholders (IT and business) as well as external partners
- Establish a sourcing strategy around technology partners/vendors who have capabilities around modular components
- Investigate vendors offering packaged business capabilities, which can fulfill current and future needs
It is critically important to work with partners who can assist your organization to understand the value of composable architecture and other technologies that can be leveraged within your organization. Astrix’s team of professionals have worked with many of the top life science organizations to assist them with respect to their strategies and approaches relative to business processes and technologies. As a partner without a preconceived preference for a specific technology, we ensure solutions are reviewed and incorporated into your business to help you succeed.
Why It Matters to You
The Life Sciences industry needs to quickly adapt to business needs while also delivering innovation. To accomplish this, it requires scalable technologies which can be implemented efficiently, nimbly, and in less time than current methods. This can be accomplished by leveraging Composable Architecture which makes it feasible to deliver technologies that can be constructed quickly and can extend into the future.
In this blog we discussed:
- What Composable Architecture is.
- The benefits to the Life Sciences Industry.
- Considerations when implementing a Composable Architecture.
Astrix is the unrivaled market-leader in creating & delivering innovative strategies, solutions, and people to the life science community. Through world class people, process, and technology, Astrix works with clients to fundamentally improve business & scientific outcomes and the quality of life everywhere. Founded by scientists to solve the unique challenges of the life science community, Astrix offers a growing array of strategic, technical, and staffing services designed to deliver value to clients across their organizations.